Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Driving Past the Graveyard

As I get closer and closer to my 40th I am becoming more and more the sentimental guy that I am but I also am coming to realize that there are also lots of things I don’t look fondly upon or even worse regret that I didn’t say or do. I decided to make a list. I regret that I didn’t play 4 years of football in high school. Although I didn’t play much freshman year I loved it. I regret that I let a 15 year old kid and may I add a non-teammate and possibly even a non-participant, tell me that because I played baseball intensely and passionately that it was embarrassing to me and because that kid was one of the cool kids I took it to heart and let it affect me in ways that still bother me. I regret not telling the kid above to FUCK OFF I do not regret how upset I was after we lost the City Championship to Davis Oil when I was 14 years old. I balled like a 6 year old who didn’t get his perfect gift from Santa Claus. I wanted to win that title more than I wanted to win anything else. I wish I had played one individual sport although not a running one, maybe the shot put or wrestling. I regret being afraid to talk to girls in a way other than a way that said I just wanted to be friends. I don’t regret that my best friends now were my best friends in high school. I wish I was a little more confident with new people because I really do like to meet new people. I don’t regret not trying pot until I was in my 20’s. I regret not living on campus in college for at least 1 semester. I wish I had talked to my parents more about how I felt and gotten more of their guidance and wisdom. I don’t regret that when I drink I am an I LOVE YOU MAN drunk. Although I don’t drink much. I don’t regret learning the lesson that Alcohol and Grief DO NOT GO WELL TOGETHER. Although I wish there had not been so much puke…..So much I don’t regret thinking of my best friends like the brothers I don’t have. I don’t regret getting married before 30. I sometimes but not always regret that I’m the responsible one when I go/went out with my friends. I once read that when you drive by a graveyard that that place is filled with regrets. I’d like to avoid as much as possible having more regrets than things I’m happy I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment